In West Philadelphia....
I have two major influences in my life: Supreme Mathematics & Philadelphia. While it's pretty easy for anyone to recognize that I live out my Culture, it may not be as easy to see how being from philly affects how I see the world. It's not until you get older and have the ability to think back that you see how important location & culture are to developing your self-image. For example, most Black men aren't comfortable with wearing pink hats or pink shirts (That whole Cam thing notwithstanding), b.u.t. due to growing up in philly, I don't think twice about rocking a slightly faded pink polo shirt, due to the influences of my youth. Another example is music: I listen to 70's soul the way some of you listen to R. Kelly (don't all put you hands up at one time!). Another huge influence in Philly is Islam, b.u.t. I'm going to cover that in another post. For know, check out a list I was sent regarding 50 ways you know you're from Philly. This list is for those between 28-35, & even if you're not from the crib, I'm sure that there are things that you can reflect on in your own life of how where you're from partially shaped how you see the world. Feel free to add on...
1. You knew Will Smith when he was The Fresh Prince
2. You think South Street is Philly`s version of The Village
3. You know how to spell Schuylkill River
4. It drives you insane when someone says tennis shoes instead ofsneakers
5. You would BOO your own mom if she made a bad sports play
6. You don`t call a cheesesteak a Philly cheesesteak or a hoagie a sub
7. Seeing The Liberty Bell, and Independence Mall is not a big deal, andyou haven't been since your 6th grade class trip.
8. You own a Power 99 tshirt
9. You know what Power 99 is and remember Carter & Sanborne in the morning....let us not forget Horace the Taurus Pindaurus the THIRD and Rasheeda and her earrings.
9A. You`re an old a** Philadelphian if you remember Stanley T!
10. You know how to scam SEPTA. (I know all of yall have sold your>school tokens!)
11. An Asian person has ever served you shrimp-fried rice, three chicken>wings, a pizza roll and a homemade iced tea.
12. You know what a "Jawn" is
14. You been to club "Dances" at least once.
15. Everybody on the block is "yo cuzzin" even if they`re not related to you.
16. You used to go to the Gallery or South St. in the summer time just to chill.
17. You have a Chinese store on the corner of your block and their wings>put the local KFC out of business.
18. You have carried a City Blue bag to school in place of a book bag.
19. You grew up playin double dutch, KING ball, Catch-A-Girl-Get-A-Girl, House, Red Light Green Light, or playin ball on milk crates.
20. You hate KOBE
21. You know where the "Plat" is.
22. You go all out for Powerhouse like it`s a prom.
23. Ladies: You had an asymmetrical hair cut with parts on the side.Guys: You ever colored your hair and beard Blue Black.
24. The ice cream truck still coming making its rounds at 3 AM.
25. You know what a "TRIZZEY" is! LOL
26. You punctuate every sentence with, "YaMeeeeen" at least twice.
27. You want mayonnaise (and extra) on your "hoagie" not olive oil.
28. You hate the Redskins
29. You hate T.O..
29a. Now you REALLY HATE Dallas.!!
30. You realize that your favorite dessert is "wooder ice".
31. You ever had a hoagie, Chumpies and a red hug for lunch.
32. You pronounce ACME "ACK-A-ME" and Pathmark "Paffmark".
33. Grape Soda is not unusual!
34. You sleep soundly through gunfire and ambulance sirens and are>awaken by crickets.
35. You visit New York and are impressed by how clean it is.
36. You can`t eat french fries without Cheese Whiz.>>37. You call sprinkles on top of your ice cream cone "jimmies".
38. You don`t think Wawa sounds funny.
39. You snub a cheese steak that isn`t on an Amoroso roll.
40. You know who Jim O`Brien is and how he died.
41. You can`t imagine lunch without a Tastykake. (And you rub the tastykake on a flat surface before opening it so the icing doesn't stick to the plastic!)
42. You've purchased jewelry from Fiff Street or Market Street.
43. You vacation at Wildwood
44. You know where to find the Rocky statue.
45. You know that only tourists go to Geno`s, Pat`s and Jim`s for
authentic cheese steaks and you only go if you're drunk and its 3:00am.
45a. You know where the "Let Out" is.
45b. Club McDonald's.....
46. You know what and where "Boathouse Row" is
47. You aren`t a bandwagon Sixers fan. You loved them when they sucked,and before they had A.I.
48. You know that MOVE isn`t some new dance to do when you hear "DA ROOOF DA ROOOOF DA ROOOF IS ON FIYAHHHHHH".
49. You ever drove/walked by Channel 6 when they were doing the weather and beeped/ danced to get on TV.
And finally....50. You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends fromPhiladelphia